FOOTBALL season is finally back! The long, nasty annual drought of nothing but baseball is finally done, and we get to return to the world’s greatest sports season … football! And, as a Facebook friend of mine recently put it, we now get to start referring to each other as tailgaters instead of alcoholics.
And that brings us to today’s post. As we begin stocking up on beer for our favorite tailgate, the question becomes, “What should I get?” Instead of stocking up on cases of Costco Kirkland’s Signature Light Beer (because it’s cheap and super light), can’t we spend a little bit more and still get something with nice flavor, but that isn’t too heavy? I mean, I love a quad, stout, or amber before just about any other style. But the thought of an all-day Dragon’s Milk binge in 90+ degree Atlanta heat is NOT a pleasant one. Tailgating in the south, especially early in the season, requires a little more work. So, without further preamble, what are some beers we can find in Georgia that will both taste fantastic, but will allow us to enjoy them throughout the day?
This is NOT meant to be a comprehensive list. This list is supposed to include beers that are …
1. Lower in ABV
2. Findable (not picking something that’s only available in crowlers in Indiana)
3. Not ‘heavy’, so you can have more than 2 and not feel like you have to waddle into the game.
In no particular order (with ABV)…
- Burnt Hickory (Kennesaw) The Revival Lager (5%)
- Wild Leap (LaGrange) Local Gold Blonde Ale (5.4%)
- Service (Savannah)
- Rally Point Pilsner (4.6%)
- Ground Pounder Pale Ale (4.6%)
- Creature Comforts (Athens)
- Bibo Pilsner (5.5%)
- Automatic Pale Ale (5.2%)
- Reformation (Woodstock) Haddy Witbier (4.8%)
- Pontoon (Sandy Springs) Hazy River India Pale Lager (5.5%)
- Red Hare (Marietta) Long Day Lager (4.98%)
- Grumpy Old Men (Blue Ridge) Moon Over Blue Ridge Pale Wheat Ale (5.7%)
- Gate City (Roswell) 20 Grand Cream Ale (4.7%)
- Jailhouse (Hampton) Federale Mexican-style Lager (4.95%)
- Jekyll (Alpharetta) American Lager (4.6%)
- Cherry Street (Cumming) Hammered Monkey Hefeweizen (5.5%)
- Macon (Macon) Love Cherry Beer (5%)
- Left Nut (Gainesville) Lappland Blonde Ale (4.5%)
- Red Brick (Atlanta) Hibiscuwit Witbier (5%)
- Orpheus (Atlanta) Serpent Bite Sour (6%)
- Wild Heaven (Avondale Estates) White Blackbird Saison (6%)
- Monday Night (Atlanta) I’m On a Boat (4.8%)
What am I missing? What’s your go-to tailgating beer? Oh, and did you notice? These breweries are from all over the state! It’s a great time to be alive!!
Happy tailgating everyone! And may the hops be ever in your favor.